Although we are on a year-round, 6 week schedule, we have put a halt to school for the 2013-14 school year. I am preparing for a new baby in August, yeah, I know perfect timing! I've got to get lots of things figured out before then, including our new curriculum for the next school year.
It's hard to believe, but I will have a Kindergartner and an 8th grader...and a new baby. How's that for spacing our kids apart...
Millie knows the basics and then some:
- Letter sounds/words
- Counting to 100
- Number recognition
- beginning word families
- beginning subtraction
- writes her first name
- write all of her letters well on handwriting paper
I feel like we made a lot of progress this last year, and I really think she is already beyond the beginning of kindergarten. I have the curriculum plans for Abeka and she could easily skip the first six weeks of plans and be fine. I am debating whether to order her the rest of the curriculum. It is really expensive, but I know it is good stuff. I am a "phonic-based approach" to reading advocate. I am currently on the hunt for cheap Abeka books on Ebay!
8th Grade Plans
Here is a list of the books I am ordering for my Jellyfish!
- Mo. History: a friend has a curriculum and he will be doing it together with them. We'll end the program with some awesome field trips. There's lots of historical places in our area!
- Answers in Genesis: God's Design for the Physical World
- Abeka: Math, LA, Spelling
- Reading: we'll do the classics again using Easy Peasy. You just click on the individual course (English 8) on the right. We are only doing the reading portion. Since Jellyfish is a reader by nature, I really don't have to worry about this too much!
- Art: the jury's still out on this one....
- Music: He's taking piano lessons from myself, and private guitar lessons from a friend. He's also in a community band where he's learning the trumpet! He plays piano at church from time to time which is really good practice. I think we've got music covered!
- Computer: Homeschool Programming (we have to decide where to start though!)
That's all my little brain can think about right now. I am working on selling some of my books on Ebay so I can afford next year's curriculum! How's your plans going?